28 July 2021 - CEHL Services Update - Victoria
CEHL continues working remotely and support co-ops and renters. See the table below for details about service areas.
If you need support contact CEHL Referral to Support Services - note there is a new phone number
Please let Property Officers and contractors know if you are self-isolating, quarantining or feeling unwell, so we can re-schedule works.
We appreciate your patience as we resume works and inspections that were postponed.
Please let Tenancy Coordinators know if you are self-isolating, quarantining or feeling unwell, so we can re-schedule inspections.
All services will be conducted following public health guidelines and CEHL COVID Safe processes:
- Renters will be contacted beforehand to check that all household members are well and not waiting for a COVID test
- Hand sanitiser, gloves and masks worn
- Social distancing measures followed
Link to latest Victorian Government Coronavirus information
CEHL Assigned Team Members
CEHL Team Members are assigned to each co-op to offer advice and assistance in running their co-operative.
Overall, the field staff aim to see co-ops thrive, they are available to assist co-ops to understand and carry out their responsibilities and support their members.
For further information, including arranging a training time - particularly useful for co-op members taking on an office bearer role for the first time contact your CEHL Co-op Development Co-ordinator CDC.
- Property inspections every three years
- Providing advice, guidance and training to Maintenance Directors to ensure they are able to fulfil obligations under the CCA
- Ensuring each co-op has an Annual Maintenance Plan and that work is completed as per the plan
- Managing the delivery of Third Schedule projects
Co-Op Development Coordinator
- Assisting communication between CEHL and the co-ops
- Provide advice and guidance to co-op directors regarding co-op governance and operational management
- Developing resources and training to assist applicants and new members to understand housing co-operatives and member commitments
- Assisting co-ops to develop and implement Future Directions Plan
- Monitoring co-op performance and assisting co-ops to find ways to resolve difficulties where needed
- Keeping co-ops informed of new requirements and program developments
- Developing resources and training to assist co-ops to meet their obligations
- Management of tenancies in Community Managed Co-operatives CMC and direct tenants
- Establish new tenancies and process vacating tenancies according to CEHL Policy and procedure
- Manage ongoing tenancies
- Manage rent arrears in accordance with CEHL Rent Arrears Policy and procedure and the Residential Tenancies Act (A fee for service for Common Equity Rental Housing Cooperatives CERCs)
- Ensure property inspections are conducted annually
- Facilitate maintenance of properties
Finance Services Officer
- Rent calculation
- Bookkeeping service
- Arrears management
Referral to Support Services
CEHL have partnered with Launch Housing to offer all co-op members and CEHL renters a referral service that can link people to support services.
A staff member from Launch Housing is working in partnership with CEHL to provide members and renters with referral to support services. The support services available can assist in many aspects of daily life including financial counselling, health or disability services, family relationships and tenancy matters.
You do not need to be facing a housing crisis to access this service.
This is a confidential service that is fully funded by CEHL for all co-op members and CEHL renters. You do not need to be eligible for other Launch Support programs to access this service.
To find out more call
Click here to view all the available resources.
Regional Forums are an opportunity for CEHL and co-ops to come together to share information.
CEHL hosts a series of Regional Forums in eight locations across the state 3-4 times per year.
The main purpose of the Regional Forum, is to:
- share information about issues and developments affecting the CEHL Program
- listen to matters important to co-op members and any upcoming challenges and opportunities they face
Regular updates are provided from CEHL staff and regional co-op representatives regarding organisational changes, policy development, training plans and newsletter ideas.
Members are encouraged to share their experiences in a key discussion at each meeting and opportunities for further networking can be added to the meeting.
Registrations for attendance and proposals for upcoming key discussion topics can be made by sending an email to REGIONALFORUMS@CEHL.COM.AU
Regional Forum Notes
Each year the CEHL Board recognises outstanding contributors to the wider CEHL Program. Nominations for the Honour Board come from co-op members.
The CEHL Board recognises that the fundamental foundation of the Program is the contribution of co-op members to the work of their co-ops and the wider Program. This contribution, by thousands of members over many years, has created this unique and successful program.
Each year the CEHL Board recognises outstanding contributors to the wider CEHL Program and authorises their names being added to the CEHL Honour Board.
New Honour Board recipients are announced annually at the CEHL Annual General Meeting.
|Val Date|| |
Click here to view all the available resources.
Book-keeping & Arrears
CEHL offers the following services to co-ops for a monthly fee.
For more details about these services contact your Co-Op Development Co-ordinator or speak to CEHL Financial Services 9208 0800.
Bookkeeping Monthly Service
- Update circuit with receipts & payments
- Bank reconciliation
- Renter movement
- Rent cards updated & sent directly to renters
- Monthly reports & rent cards sent to co-op
- Assistance to produce documents required for reporting purposes by CEHL & Australian Taxation Office etc
Rent Calculation Service
- Eligibility for new renters
- Rent calculation for new & transferring renters
- Rent calculation when renter's income or household composition change
Rent Arrears Management Service
Provide Rent Arrears Management Service to contracted co-ops in accordance with CEHL Rent Arrears Policy & Procedures & Service Agreement by:
- Monitoring weekly rental payments and follow up any outstanding renter rent arrears
- Requesting permission from co-op to commence VCAT action to recover rent arrears sustainably
- Providing weekly rent arrears reports to co-op’s nominated contact
- Monitoring all active VCAT Orders to ensure compliance
- Ensuring all rent arrears actions are recorded
Community Managed Co-operative CMC Board Liaison
- Timely reporting on tenancy management activities and relevant issues to co-op board meetings
- Collaborate with co-op boards and partner agencies in the development of strategies and policies relevant to the management of co-located sites
- Responding to requests by co-op members and renters in a manner that fosters co-op control and successful long-term tenancies
- Provide advice and support to co-ops about VCAT process and possession orders
- Timely notification of changes to onsite CEHL attendance/worker
- Respond to co-op board complaints according to complaints policy & procedure
CEHL and co-operatives provide education, training and information for their members so they can contribute effectively, to the running and development of their co-op. This reflects the International Co-operative Principles and the CEHL Program Principles.
CEHL Training And Resources
CEHL offers a range of training and resources to co-ops including:
- a yearly calendar of regional training workshops
- self-directed workbooks available online (Reviewed and developed in conjunction with the Training Advisory Committee TAC)
- Regional Forums, providing the latest Program information and an opportunity for co-op share experiences
- a yearly Conference to discuss key program topics and provide an opportunity for co-ops from all regions to share information and network
- individual coaching to Co-op Directors (upon request)
- an education scholarship program to assist co-op members and their families to access further education
For details of upcoming training and events see What's on or speak to your Co-op Development Co-ordinator.
CEHL provides maintenance services to Community Managed Co-operatives CMC and directmanaged tenants (VicWide).
Maintenance responsibilities include:
- Scheduling of regular and cyclical maintenance including smoke detector inspections, gutter cleaning and carbon monoxide testing
- Inspect properties once vacated and prepare them for the next tenancy
- Organise urgent and responsive repairs when required
- Provide reports to CMC Boards
CEHL manages all rental provider responsibilities for Community Managed Co-operatives CMC and direct renters - VicWide.
CEHL's manages tenancies according to CEHL Policy and Procedure and the Residential Tenancies Act.
Functions carried out by tenancy management include:
Establish new tenancies and process vacating tenancies according to CEHL Policy and Procedure by:
- conducting sign-up appointments ensuring renters are informed of their rights and responsibilities
- establish and finalise rent accounts
- ensuring renter maintenance responsibilities are fulfilled
- resolving breaches of the tenancy agreement
- taking legal action if necessary
Manage ongoing tenancies by:
- maintaining tenancy records
- conduct annual property inspections
- assessing and following up any complaints
- refer renters to support services where necessary to sustain the tenancy in accordance with CEHL Referral to a Support Agency Policy and Procedures
Management of rent arrears
- weekly monitoring of rent payments
- initiating VCAT action to recover rent arrears
Management of property vacancies
- managed in accordance with CEHL Policy and Procedures
Liaise with co-op board members
- provide reports on tenancy management and other relevant activities to co-op boards
Fee for Service
Arrears Management see CEHL Financial Services for more information