Managing Tenancies

All tenancies in the CEHL Program are managed in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act. In the CMC Model, staff from CEHL Housing Services perform all of the functions listed below, on behalf and for the Co-Op-.

In the CERC Model, the key activities in managing tenancies are:

Establishing and, if applicable, renewing Tenancy Agreements (some CERCs in accordance with their internal policy issue Tenancy Agreements for specific timeframes, up to a maximum of five years. The alternative is to issue a continuing, periodic Tenancy Agreement which is an open-ended agreement running as long as both parties wish).

Ensuring new tenants are advised of their rights and duties and receive all the information needed to start a successful tenancy. For example, one of the first and major rules for a landlord to remember is to provide the tenant with the booklet Renting a home: A guide for tenants and landlords

Issuing up-to-date information to tenants about their rent account;

Arranging routine inspections in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act, the CERC/Company Agreement (CCA) and CERC policy;

Ensuring correct procedures are followed when a tenancy is ended.

It is expected that all CERCs are able to effectively manage their tenancies, and work with tenants to resolve any breaches of the tenancy agreement. To ensure consistency and fairness, CERCs should have clear policies and procedures. For example, where tenants face financial difficulties or fall into arrears, the existing PAC policy for rental arrears should be followed, to provide every possibility for the tenancy to be sustained and to ensure ongoing viability of the CERC.

Occasionally, a CERC may be required to take VCAT action in accordance with their policies.

If in doubt regarding the rights and obligations as a landlord, CERCs should contact Common Equity Housing for clarification. Your Co-op Development Coordinator is available upon request to provide the CERC with assistance and advice.

Blank Periodic/Fixed Term Tenancy Agreement (202 Kb)
Summary of Proofs (22 Kb)
Guide to Taking a Rent Arrears Case to VCAT (750 Kb)

Tenancy and VCAT forms, Renting Guides and other publications are available by contacting CEHL, or through Consumer Affairs Victoria.

CERCs should refer to Fact Sheets and PAC Recommended Policies for further information and guidance on many of the issues likely to present.