Co-ops are independent legal entities, responsible for their own financial management. CEHL provides services and resources to assist co-ops in the Housing Program with their financial administration.
Rents Explained & Treasurers Toolkit
Rents are the primary source of income for the co-operative. Rent income is essential to meet maintenance and administration costs.
To manage rent income for your co-op it is vital co-ops:
- ensure tenants are paying their rent on time and, in accordance with the Housing Program policy and procedures
- take prompt action whenever rent arrears occur to assist the tenant to get back on track and sustain their tenancy
NOTE: Residential tenancy bonds are not charged under the Housing Program.
Tenants are charged rent according to their household income. There are a number of different rent calculations used in the program. The rent calculation will depend on the type of co-op a tenant is a member of. The Housing Program Rent Assessment Policy outlines these details.
How rent is paid
Each co-op will use payment systems that best meet the needs of their tenants. Common facilities offered by co-ops to their member tenants are:
- Direct payment at a post office or bank
- Automatic bank transfers
What happens to my rent if my income changes?
If a household income changes by more than $50 a week (goes up or down) the rent you pay may need to change.
1. Contact the relevant person:
|Who to contact if your income changes|
|CERC member||Your Co-op Treasurer or Finance/Rent Officer|
|CMC member||CEHL Tenancy Co-ordinator|
2. Submit a new Household Information Form HIF
- Provide income evidence as per the Rent Assessment Policy
Below are resources and forms Treasurers need to undertake their role.
Tenant Rent Statement ExplainedDownload
Centrelink Income Confirmation Consent FormDownload
Change of Tenancy Details SheetDownload
Co-op Treasurers ManualDownload
Cash Payment JournalDownload
Circuit Users ManualDownload
Program Policy Household RentDownload
Household Rent GuideDownload
Maximum Rent Fact SheetDownload
Company Rent- How to GuideDownload
Rent Changes Frequently Asked QuestionsView
Rent Calculator 2021-22View
CEHL Financial Services
Financial services offered by CEHL to member co-operatives.
A number of financial and administrative services are offered by CEHL to assist member co-operatives to perform their obligations.
The following services are offered to co-ops for a monthly fee.
For more details about these services contact your Co-op Development Co-ordinator or a Finance Officer on 9208 0800.
Bookkeeping (Monthly) Service
- Update circuit with receipts and payments
- Perform bank reconciliation
- Tenant changes
- Update rent cards and send directly to tenants
- Monthly reporting of rent cards and accounts to co-op
- Assistance to produce documents required for reporting purposes by CEHL & Australian Taxation Office etc
Rent Calculation Service
- Eligibility assessment for new tenants
- Rent calculations for new and transferring tenants
- Rent calculation when tenant’s income or household composition change
Arrears Management (Weekly) Service
- Allocate bank and Centrepay deposits weekly for a co-op tenants
- Provide rent arrears reports to co-ops
- Working directly with the tenant to support their tenancy through arrears management
- Attend Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal VCAT hearings as required
Co-op Financial Management
Outline of co-op's financial management responsibilities.
CEHL has two primary models of co-operatives in our housing program:
The co-op modelsdiffer in their responsibilities and in the financial management requirements performed by the co-op members. For more details see Governance + Co-op Financial Management
The tables below outline the responsibilities in relation to financial management for CERC and CMC co-op models. For more detail see
Financial management roles and responsibilities
|Co-op Model||Treasurer||Rent & Tenancy Management||Maintenance|
|CERC|| || || |
|CMC|| || || |
CERC - Common Equity Rental Housing Co-operative
CMC - Community Managed Co-operative