CEHL Assigned Team Members
CEHL Team Members are assigned to each co-op to offer advice and assistance in running their co-operative.
Overall, the field staff aim to see co-ops thrive, they are available to assist co-ops to understand and carry out their responsibilities and support their members.
For further information, including arranging a training time - particularly useful for co-op members taking on an office bearer role for the first time contact your CEHL Co-op Development Co-ordinator CDC.
- Property inspections every three years
- Providing advice, guidance and training to Maintenance Directors to ensure they are able to fulfil obligations under the CCA
- Ensuring each co-op has an Annual Maintenance Plan and that work is completed as per the plan
- Managing the delivery of Third Schedule projects
Co-Op Development Coordinator
- Assisting communication between CEHL and the co-ops
- Provide advice and guidance to co-op directors regarding co-op governance and operational management
- Developing resources and training to assist applicants and new members to understand housing co-operatives and member commitments
- Assisting co-ops to develop and implement Future Directions Plan
- Monitoring co-op performance and assisting co-ops to find ways to resolve difficulties where needed
- Keeping co-ops informed of new requirements and program developments
- Developing resources and training to assist co-ops to meet their obligations
- Management of tenancies in Community Managed Co-operatives CMC and direct tenants
- Establish new tenancies and process vacating tenancies according to CEHL Policy and procedure
- Manage ongoing tenancies
- Manage rent arrears in accordance with CEHL Rent Arrears Policy and procedure and the Residential Tenancies Act (A fee for service for Common Equity Rental Housing Cooperatives CERCs)
- Ensure property inspections are conducted annually
- Facilitate maintenance of properties
Finance Services Officer
- Rent calculation
- Bookkeeping service
- Arrears management
Regional Forums are an opportunity for CEHL and co-ops to come together to share information.
CEHL hosts a series of Regional Forums in eight locations across the state 3-4 times per year.
The main purpose of the Regional Forum, is to:
- share information about issues and developments affecting the CEHL Program
- listen to matters important to co-op members and any upcoming challenges and opportunities they face
Regular updates are provided from CEHL staff and regional co-op representatives regarding organisational changes, policy development, training plans and newsletter ideas.
Members are encouraged to share their experiences in a key discussion at each meeting and opportunities for further networking can be added to the meeting.
Registrations for attendance and proposals for upcoming key discussion topics can be made by sending an email to REGIONALFORUMS@CEHL.COM.AU
Regional Forum Notes
Each year the CEHL Board recognises outstanding contributors to the wider CEHL Program. Nominations for the Honour Board come from co-op members.
The CEHL Board recognises that the fundamental foundation of the Program is the contribution of co-op members to the work of their co-ops and the wider Program. This contribution, by thousands of members over many years, has created this unique and successful program.
Each year the CEHL Board recognises outstanding contributors to the wider CEHL Program and authorises their names being added to the CEHL Honour Board.
New Honour Board recipients are announced annually at the CEHL Annual General Meeting.
|Val Date|| |
CEHL provides Education Scholarships to people in our Housing Program wishing to further their education.
Each year CEHL offers nine education scholarships each worth $2,000, to people in our Housing Program. Scholarships are awarded to people demonstrating the positive influence a scholarship will have on their lives.
Applications open each November for study in the following year.
Book-keeping & Arrears
CEHL offers the following services to co-ops for a monthly fee.
For more details about these services contact your Co-Op Development Co-ordinator or speak to CEHL Financial Services 9208 0800.
Bookkeeping Monthly Service
- Update circuit with receipts & payments
- Bank reconciliation
- Tenant movement
- Rent cards updated & sent directly to tenants
- Monthly reports & rent cards sent to co-op
- Assistance to produce documents required for reporting purposes by CEHL & Australian Taxation Office etc
Rent Calculation Service
- Eligibility for new tenants
- Rent calculation for new & transferring tenants
- Rent calculation when tenant's income or household composition change
Arrears Management Service
Manage Arrears Management Service to contracted Co-ops in accordance with CEHL Rent Arrears Policy & Procedures & Service Agreement by;
- Monitoring weekly rental payments and follow up any outstanding arrears
- Requesting permission from Co-op to commence VCAT action to recover arrears
- Providing weekly rent arrears reports & correspondence to client co-op in a timely manner
- Monitoring all active VCAT Orders to ensure compliance
- Ensuring all rent arrears actions are recorded
Community Managed Co-operative CMC Board Liaison
- Timely reporting on tenancy management activities and relevant issues to co-op board meetings
- Collaborate with co-op boards and partner agencies in the development of strategies and policies relevant to the management of co-located sites
- Responding to requests by co-op members and tenants in a manner that fosters co-op control and successful long-term tenancies
- Provide advice and support to co-ops about VCAT process and possession orders
- Timely notification of changes to onsite CEHL attendance/worker
- Respond to co-op board complaints according to complaints policy & procedure
CEHL and co-operatives provide education, training and information for their members so they can contribute effectively, to the running and development of their co-op. This reflects the International Co-operative Principles and the CEHL Program Principles.
CEHL Training And Resources
CEHL offers a range of training and resources to co-ops including:
- a yearly calendar of regional training workshops
- self-directed workbooks available online (Reviewed and developed in conjunction with the Training Advisory Committee TAC)
- Regional Forums, providing the latest Program information and an opportunity for co-op share experiences
- a yearly Conference to discuss key program topics and provide an opportunity for co-ops from all regions to share information and network
- individual coaching to Co-op Directors (upon request)
- an education scholarship program to assist co-op members and their families to access further education
For details of upcoming training and events see What's on or speak to your Co-op Development Co-ordinator.
CEHL provides maintenance services to Community Managed Co-operatives CMC and directmanaged tenants (VicWide).
Maintenance responsibilities include:
- Scheduling of regular and cyclical maintenance including smoke detector inspections, gutter cleaning and carbon monoxide testing
- Inspect properties once vacated and prepare them for the next tenancy
- Organise urgent and responsive repairs when required
- Provide reports to CMC Boards
CEHL manages all landlord responsibilities for Community Managed Co-operatives CMC and direct tenants - VicWide.
CEHL's manages tenancies according to CEHL Policy and Procedure and the Residential Tenancies Act.
Functions carried out by tenancy management include:
Establish new tenancies and process vacating tenancies according to CEHL Policy and Procedure by:
- conducting sign-up appointments ensuring tenants are informed of their rights and responsibilities
- establish and finalise rent accounts
- ensuring tenant maintenance responsibilities are fulfilled
- resolving breaches of the tenancy agreement
- taking legal action if necessary
Manage ongoing tenancies by:
- maintaining tenancy records
- conduct annual property inspections
- assessing and following up any complaints
- refer tenants to support services where necessary to sustain the tenancy in accordance with CEHL Referral to a Support Agency Policy and Procedures
Management of rent arrears
- weekly monitoring of rent payments
- initiating VCAT action to recover rent arrears
Management of property vacancies
- managed in accordance with CEHL Policy and Procedures
Liaise with co-op board members
- provide reports on tenancy management and other relevant activities to co-op boards
Fee for Service
Arrears Management see CEHL Financial Services for more information